**Video summary to be posted shortly*
Q: Will I be able to hire temporary foreign workers for my farm this year?
A: The federal government confirmed in March that seasonal agricultural workers and temporary foreign workers are exempt from the current travel restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 situation and can travel to Canada by air or land with some of the stipulations listed below.
However, questions remain about the logistics of getting foreign workers here. Opposition MPs, including myself, have been asking the Government for weeks for definitive details on the Seasonal Agricultural Worker program and Temporary Foreign Worker program.
With planting season upon us, our local farmers need to know with clarity what’s happening.
Here’s what we know currently:
- All temporary foreign workers must follow this criteria:
- Confirm with their prearranged employment that the employer is still operating and will honour the employment offer
- Foreign nationals who are travelling by air will need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before being allow to board
- Any traveller who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada
- On arrival in Canada, a traveller’s health will be assessed before they are allowed to leave the port of entry
- Must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms, this is mandatory
You can find the latest information from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is on this Q&A page on their website: